Sunday, August 24, 2014

Is there still a role for formal business communications?

Discussion question that was posted on July 14, 2014
There are arguments that the importance of following a formal writing process has changed in recent years due the introduction of new communication media including social media. What are your thoughts on this argument? What role do you feel more traditional writing continues to play in today’s business world? Is there still a role for formal business communications?

In response to the question: 

     I think it is quite natural that when something is newly adopted people will change around their old habits and tend to find a new way to use the toy more conveniently and efficiently. Some might argue that still when writing a formal letter rules have to be followed. I agree with that. I think the importance of following a formal writing process cannot be more emphasized. However on the other thoughts, as methods of communication evolve new rules can also be adapted to accommodate the new methods of communication. 
    We are now living in the world where time is more valuable than anything. With a help of an email, people can now send messages in the blink of an eye whether it is a formal letter or just a casual text. Hand written letter in an envelope is quite quickly becoming a thing in the past (I still like the idea of hand written letter. I’m not a big fan of all this new technology and emails but I’ve got to admit, they are convenient and super time saver and most importantly, everybody use them). I remember writing a sign-off letter to take an early leave or to take a day off when I was back in high school. It started something like this: To whom it may concern. Please excuse my son (my name) for being away (today’s date), so and so. I don’t know if it’s still the same or it can be done through the email these days. I text my boss when I’m calling in sick nowadays. 
    My point is that even though it is important to follow the traditional writing process, things have changed quite a lot in the last decades and styles of writings can also be changed to adapt to the new medium. As long as the message is delivered the way it is supposed to mean, why can’t we take advantage of it?


Peer Reviews:
Also in response to Kat, who stated, "..The other thing that ive seen is that many of my vendor do use smiley faces in the emails, which I haven’t seen, for example, 3-4 years ago. Again, it is not good to use these kind of symbols when you are emailing your vendor for the first time, but maybe someone that you have a great relationship, as it helps to shows your expression to the person on the other side." 
-Kat

I agree with you Katarina. I believe even though emails and social media type of communication has overwhelmingly overtaken the traditional writings, there should be the rules to follow when it comes to writing formally. However If somebody I do business with send me an email with a smiley face, once a while? I consider that as a friendly gesture. What really bothers me though is when somebody uses acronyms that I’ve never heard of. Those sort of thing has to be stopped.  
-Chris


In response to Melanie, who stated, "...Having to call someone and leave a message on their voicemail may not get the message to them as fast as would be sending a text message." 
-Mel 

Melanie, I agree with the most of what you said. You mentioned a good example of how the texting is becoming more common method of communication and for some people it is more preferable method nowadays. However, when sending a text message, there could be some possible issues we might face. Often times when sender sends the message there is no way of knowing that receiver checked the message until he replies the message. Secondly, it is still limited to the certain individuals. There are quite a few of my colleagues who still don’t use text messages. I tried to teach them couple of times but they just don’t want to accept new technology. However I found text messaging is extremely helpful when sending a message that contains numerical and alphabetical codes such as VIN# for vehicle. It is very annoying trying to read out 14 digits of those codes over the phone. (when I can simply just text “D09T87” , talking over the phone will be something like, “D, 09,  T, no no D for Delta and number zero nine and T, for Tango, can you repeat that to me?”)
-Chris



In response to Paul who stated, "...I also agree with you that the formal writing process is not dead and that although business have adapted to using social media they are still and will continue to use formal writing as the preferred means to communicate for financial and contractual issues."
-Paul

While informal writing can be unclear of points and can sometimes lead to misunderstanding, writing with overly formal language can also be hard to understand and create confusion. The bottom line is, writing is a form of communication and the very basic purpose is to send the message. Of course there are different writing styles for different occasions, but for the most part if we consider those two opposite side and choose a middle level, it will be an ideal level for business writing.
Reference: Impact: A guide to Business Communication (pg 26)
-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment